Did you know that water damage costs Australian homeowners thousands of dollars in repair bills every year?
You may not think cracked tiles in your shower is a big issue. However, they’re more than just cosmetic defects. Cracked tiles can let water seep through and penetrate your flooring. This can potentially cause severe structural damage if left untreated.
Below, we’ll discuss the causes of cracked tiles and the best strategy for saving your home from water damage.
Why Do Tiles Crack?
Tile cracks are caused by a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Impact from heavy or sharp falling objects.
- Building movement caused by a shifting foundation or expansion in the floor joists.
- Incorrect installation with the wrong type of adhesive, poor quality workmanship, or installing the tiles on improperly spaced joists
- Cracked substrate below the surface of the tiles due to surface expansion or contraction
- Low-quality tiles made from sub-standard materials or tiles that are designed to be used for different purposes
- Water damage behind the tiles
If just one tile has cracked from a sharp impact, then a single tile replacement may be enough to fix your shower. However, suppose you notice cracks in multiple tiles or are unsure of the root cause. In that case, it’s worthwhile for our team of professionals to assess the situation.
It can be challenging to determine the cause of cracked tiles. That’s why we offer a free pressure and moisture test with every assessment. But whatever the cause of your cracked tiles, we’re confident that we can fix the issue. All our work is 100% guaranteed, cost-effective, and fixed within 3-5 hours.
Why Should You Repair Cracked Tiles?
If you don’t repair cracked tiles now, the problem will only grow bigger in the future. That’s because water can work its way through any crack, no matter how small.
While you might not notice any leaks or water damage at first, you can be sure that excess moisture will build up below the surface until it becomes a noticeable issue.
Here are some reasons you should repair cracked tiles as soon as they appear:
- Water leakage can lead to significant and costly structural damage once it reaches supporting structures
- Excess moisture can cause mould and encourage harmful bacteria growth
- Tile cracking can indicate shifting foundations or other structural issues
- Once one tile is cracked, there is a greater chance of damage to the rest of your shower
What Should You Do If You Have Cracked Tiles?
Many people don’t even notice cracks in their tiles. Others might pick up some silicone from the hardware store and attempt to fix it themselves. However, this will likely be a temporary solution. If there is moisture underneath the tiles, the silicone won’t bond properly and will lift away in a matter of days or weeks.
The best way to repair cracked tiles in your shower is by calling a professional. While repair costs are involved, it’s a worthwhile investment that can prevent much higher repair bills in the future.
If you’re looking for the best tile repair professionals in Brisbane, then give us a call. We have years of experience and offer a free moisture and pressure test with each consultation.
We’ll conduct an initial assessment then go over your treatment options. Often, we’re able to repair your shower without removing any tiles, saving you a considerable amount of time and money. If your shower has extensive damage, our professional rebuild service will have your home looking better than ever.
Call us for your free assessment today!